Located in downtown Richmond, across the street from the historic Fort Bend County Courthouse, St. John's is an historic United Methodist Church that was founded in 1839 as the Richmond Methodist Church. On December 26, 1838, Reverend Jesse Hord arrived in Richmond. His diary entry for that day stated: "Spent in Richmond; preached at night to a good congregation; good feeling; much interest; the Holy Spirit rest upon many. Hallelujah! God is love."
On January 22, 1839, Reverend Hord returned to Richmond where he found a "good congregation with considerable interest and good feelings." He then organized a society consisting of six persons - the first Methodist society ever formed in Richmond under the name "Methodist Episcopal Church." From six people that organized society became what is today St. John's United Methodist Church.
Throughout the years, St. John's has always maintained a significant and active presence in both Fort Bend County and in the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. The 11th Annual Texas Conference was held in Richmond.
about the life of St. John's are plentiful and include stories of three
churches of different denominations on the same street with windows
open singing the same hymns at the same time. Also because St. John's
was on street level and there were not many motorized vehicles on the
streets it was not unusual for livestock such as pigs to roam under the
buildings, disturbing Sunday services.